In Germany there is also malnutrition related to poverty and sometimes hunger. According to According to a study by the Heinrich Böll Foundation, people who have little money available for their purchases do not pay attention primarily to which foods are healthy, but rather to cheap foods that fill you up.
increases the risk of disease
While industrially processed foods are just getting more expensive, prices for fresh, healthy foods like fruits and vegetables are skyrocketing. This aggravates the situation, because the more processed foods, the greater the risk of developing obesity, type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular disease. The risk of cancer also increases.
Highly processed foods are often low in fiber and high in fiber Glycemic index. Blood sugar rises rapidly as these foods or their carbohydrates are rapidly absorbed. There is an insulin reaction that rapidly lowers blood sugar again, and the body responds with cravings. We have the need to eat more and more.
Healthy food exempt from VAT
Experts at the German Diabetes Society have been calling for years to exempt healthy foods such as fruit, vegetables and nuts from VAT and, in exchange, subject unhealthy and highly sugary products, such as soft drinks, to higher tax.
- If you want to eat healthy and cheap, you should prefer fresh products from the region and prepare simple dishes yourself.
- Meat rarely belongs on the menu. Those who largely do without it protect their health and their wallets.
- It does not always have to be organic, a conventional apple from the region will also do.
- Towards the end of the sales period, supermarkets often advertise lower prices to get rid of their products while they are still “fresh”.
- Under www.mundraub.org you will find fruit picking tips for free.
subject matter experts